With the hot weather here in London I’ve been trying out different varieties of Chaat such as Patha (a bit like spinach), Samosa and Aloo chaat as opposed to soups which are more preferred in the winter.
Chaat is a dish served in the sub Asian continent consisting mainly of yoghurt, pomegranate and chick peas marinaded and cooked in a tamarind and coriander sauce and topped with sev (deep fried shredded crisp). Today I am sharing a Potato Samosa Chaat recipe which you can find below. Hope you enjoy!
8 large Fried Potato Samosas (cut into 3-4 pieces)
240g can chick peas (drained)
1 teaspoon Shaan Chaat Masala
1 small Red onion finely chopped
1 small White onion finely chopped
Fresh chopped coriander
1 tsp rough red chillies
1 tsp salt
350-400g Plain yogurt (use a little water to thin it out)
2 tablespoon coriander chutney
+/- 3-4 tblsp maggi tamarind sauce
1 whole pomegranate rubes
1. Briefly stir fry chopped white onion, chick peas, 2 table spoon tamarind sauce, 1 tablespoon coriander chutney, chaat masala, salt and red chillies for 5 minuets.
2. Take the fried potato samoosa and break it up in large chunks.
3. In a preferred bowl, add broken samoosa, stirfried chickpeas
4. Add a little water to the 350g plain yoghurt to help thin it out then pour over samoosa and chaat mixture.
5. Add the finely sliced red onion followed by the remainder tamarind sauce and coriander chutney drizzled over.
6. Top with 100g sev, pomegranate rubes and finely chopped coriander